Parenting has it's fill of ups & downs...
Some days are peace-filled & joyful!
Others may have you feeling a little more than overwhelmed.
There was never a promise or guarantee that when we accepted the challenge to parent,
that everything would go the way WE want it to.
On those days when you are literally pulling out your hair,
working through an issue with a child (or 2, or 3+...yikes!)...
Here's some inspiration to keep you grounded :)
I am currently parenting five children, ranging in age from newborn to a teenager.
I feel like I'm living all sorts of stages at once.
I love so many aspects of each stage, but as we know, there are unique challenges in every season of life.
I mean, who doesn't want to forget their own horrid teen years?!
Who here loved being an awkward zit covered growing pre-teen??
Or which one of us mothers always love having a little newborn screaming through the night?
Wherever you are (high up on the mountain tops, or in the valley of 'parenting trenches') this post will inspire you to a GREATER perspective.
Here are my:
TOP FIVE TIPS WHEN YOU'RE IN THE TRENCHES
- Our children are on loan to us & it is really only a very short time that we have them in our care (I know, doesn't always SEEM like it!). The days are long, but the years are often short! I have had many older women share with me to enjoy this season of life, for OH how they long for it to come back. The messes are gone for them now, but the house is much quieter. I guess when you put it that way, the daily full counter of dishes seems worth it :)
- Our children, whether they say this or not, need to see us demonstrate unconditional love to them. When they're obedient & lovely to be around...and when they're so ornery you're unsure of whether this child was switched at birth! Now, I add to this, love may mean showing them that there are boundaries and loss of consequences for not listening to instructions given. Love is not simply an ooey-gooey feeling, but a decision to show this child you are on their side. You are for them. You believe in them. No matter what. However, you are going to ensure they face reasonable consequences BECAUSE you love them!
- Our children deeply look to us for affection. Again, some of them will show it very obviously (like the kid that always wants/needs that hug). Others can not, or will not,verbalize their need. I recommend Gary Chapman's & Dr. Ross Campbell's book: Five Love Languages of Children to see which is the BEST way to demonstrate that love & fill that 'love tank' up for each child.
- Our schedules may be JAM PACKED with all sorts of activities: work, ministry, volunteering, social time, the gym...etc. etc. but our priority must be raising our children. That doesn't mean we go to the other extreme of placing our children on a pedestal, or letting them become the main source of our contentment (only God has that rightful place in our hearts!), but if I had to pick between: child needing attention for a serious issue OR another movie night....you get the picture :)
- Our children are not our own. Hard to believe, but it's true. They are His. His masterpieces. His beautiful creations. We are entrusted to raise them up, as best as we can, relying on His help of course. We desire them to know Him, and glorify Him with their lives. It is not a task for the faint hearted. It is not to be taken lightly... Again, a book recommendation by Stormie Omartian: The Power of a Praying Parent which will encourage you in 30 days to pray over one area of their lives each day.
When you're in the trenches, the key is to remember that 'this too shall pass'. That doesn't mean we should be passive however...
On the contrary, I would encourage EVERY parent through the difficult times, to get out their bibles (the sword) and get on their 'knees' to pray like you've never prayed before!
"For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds."
Get the Concordance out & look for scriptures relating to your child/family's particular situation.
& don't ever believe the lie that you are alone...
If I write this post for ONE person out there who needs it, then so be it.
You are NOT alone.
Others have gone before you and are on the other side...
Find some other sistahs out there to get beside you, & stand in the 'trenches' alongside you :)
What about yourself? Do you have any book recommendations or thoughts to encourage parents out there?
And I'll re-cap my latest announcement: to all Homeschooling Mamas!
I am participating in this year's "Build Your Bundle Homeschool Edition" Sale!!!
This is an AMAZING opportunity for those who are looking to purchase valuable educational material at GREAT prices! The Bonus: it is NOT pre-selected for you! You choose YOUR OWN BUNDLES!
Bundle prices vary, but they range from $10 - $69, which is up to 92% off retail!
The big sale IS NOW LIVE FOR THE WEEK!!!
So you can purchase ANY of the amazing bundle deals by clicking below.
But hurry!! These bundle deals will be gone before you know it :)