Anyone out there been facing the winter 'blahs' lately?
Been overwhelmed by the tasks of homeschooling?
Dragging your feet when you get up in the morning? (er, maybe that's just a Mommy thing!)
I'll be completely honest with you all...I have.
The last two weeks have not been easy, and I had one of 'those' days this week where I called up hubby and said, "I don't think homeschooling is for me..." I was in tears!
Ever had one of 'those' days homeschooling Moms?
Now, by that evening, I was feeling MUCH more refreshed and ready to go again. But looking back, I think I was experiencing what some may call a bit of 'homeschool burn-out'.
So what do we do when we feel burnt-out...drained...just plain ready to give up??
Well...besides praying, talking to other seasoned homeschooling parents, rallying for family & friend support, getting outdoors in the sunlight, getting some extra rest, maybe even have a daytrip??
It MAY also be time to get a new perspective...a fresh wind in our sails so to speak...and it may be time to simply remind ourselves WHY we do what we do. WHY we feel personally called to take this upon ourselves, and WHY we are investing this huge amount of time/energy into our children.
So, after some pondering... here's my TOP TEN LIST OF THINGS I'M GRATEFUL FOR AS A HOMESCHOOL MOMMY!
1) The special memories we create, as we disciple and train up our children, living out our lives side by-side!
2) The beautiful bonding we get to witness between siblings! (albeit not, ahem, perfect, it has been awesome to see our two older children building a much stronger relationship with our younger two)
3) The awesome ability to become our child's number one academic cheerleader! We get the unique opportunity to witness some of the results :)
4) As facilitators of our schools, we have the privilege (and responsibility!!) to select the things we deem best for our children to learn: this may be based on a number of aspects such as--> their gifts, abilities, our preferences, our circumstances, and maybe even where we believe our child's future is headed...nonetheless it is a beautiful privilege that we hopefully we don't take lightly :)
5) We can meet new friends in our homeschool circles! Now, not only do we have our 'other' circles of friends (such as church, neighborhoods, extra-curricular activities, etc), but we can jump into new opportunities (as we are not locked into a 9-3pm strict schedule) with homeschooling families near and far in our area. Take advantage of them! I am so glad I have been able to meet up with and be encouraged by some seasoned Moms :)
6) Flexibility in our schedules! What a great thing to be thankful for...we can take our children out into the world to learn...through experience.
7) We can use all kinds of teaching methods to accomplish our goals!
8) We are not restricted to maintain their educations solely inside of our home!
Oh, how much I enjoy a good hike with the kids :)
9) The opportunity to involve our spouse; hopefully our marriages can benefit as we are serving our children TOGETHER in our homeschools.
***Note: if you are single parent homeschooling I feel for you...please take advantage of all the resources that are available in your area to offer that extra support you may need!
10) Silly One: I can stay at 'work' in my PAJAMAS!!!...if I so choose :)
Ahhh...I am feeling refreshed already. Sometimes it is good to simply reflect and reminder ourselves.
***Do you have a way that you overcome the 'winter' or mid-year blues for homeschooling Moms? Don't be shy...please share below in the comments!
And PLEASE don't forget to VOTE: a simple click will do :)